Welter Funeral Home was founded by William “Billy” Welter in 1933. His original funeral home was located at 232 Third Street SW, approximately 2½ blocks west of Dakota Avenue (main street). He operated from this facility until 1948, when he purchased the present-day building, which originally was the Richard and Grace Richards mansion.
The present funeral home was built in 1906 and the Richards family lived here until 1929. From then until 1948, when it became the Welter Funeral Home, it was used temporarily as a hospital (while the main hospital was being repaired after a fire), as a hunting lodge, and as a lodging-house for young men who came to the Huron area to work.
Billy Welter retired in 1955, at which time the funeral home was purchased as a partnership by Bob and Emily Entwisle, and Ken and Helen Loe. Ken and Helen sold their interest in the business to Bob and Emily in 1959. Bob and Emily, both licensed funeral directors, owned and operated the funeral home until their retirement in 1997.
In 1970 Mel Radke began working at the firm. Jim Murtha began in 1998. Mel retired July 1, 2007, after 40 years in funeral service. Tim Bishop joined Welter Funeral Home January 1, 2008. Dan Krugman joined Welter Funeral Home on October 1, 2009.
The elegance of the funeral home is highlighted by the oak woodwork which adorns a large portion of the interior. Except for later additions on the north and west side, the funeral home, to this day, structurally looks much like it did when it was constructed. The spaciousness of the interior rooms and Chapel offer a sense of peacefulness and quiet dignity to the families we are proud to serve.
During the summer and fall months of 2008, the entire main floor was remodeled with new carpeting, drapes, furniture, wall coverings, pictures, and painted walls, with all of the design plans and most of the work being done by the funeral home's office manager, Peggy Murtha.
On September 1, 2011, construction began on an addition to include a new chapel/visitation rooms. A 36’ x 56’ addition was built on the west side of the funeral home. Fifteen foot high ceilings enhance the beautiful look inside and offer a spaciousness for our families second to none. The room has the capability of being divided in half with a sound-proof door to accommodate 2 simultaneous visitations/prayer services. The interior décor matches the color and design of the older part of the funeral home, maintaining the integrity of it’s proud history.
A new entry was included in the construction off of the front porch, along with a flower-sound-storage room.
The old chapel is now a coffee lounge where our patrons can move away from the bustle of visitation and relax alone or spend time visiting with family and friends over a cup of coffee.
The exterior received new permanent steel siding, pillars, shingles, and storm windows. The “new” blended into the old as if the new addition was always there.
Again, a big thank you to Peggy Murtha for spearheading this project, along with her ideas and design work. She made the whole project come together.
This new addition is our way of giving back to our community and surrounding area which has supported Welter’s for so many years. We hope that the spacious and beautiful facilities will enhance our patron’s time with us as they mourn the loss of their loved ones.